Spicy Stuffed Peppers
Posted by Olivia on Thursday, September 16th, 2010
Summer bell peppers and tomatoes abound in my kitchen right now, so this firey, delicious dish was both yummy and helpful, as it allowed me to clean house a bit. Feel free to vary the sausage, legume and veggie combinations.
- 2 large red or green bell peppers
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 full-size grilling sausages (chicken, turkey, pork, etc), diced
- 1/2 cup jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Olio Diavolo for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent. Add sausage and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add broccoli, tomato, cilantro, and black beans. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the broccoli is slightly softened.
- Cut the peppers in half, lengthwise and remove the seeds and inner veins, being careful to keep the peppers intact. Fill each pepper half with the chicken-bean-vegetable mixture and top with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the peppers are cooked. Top each pepper with a drizzle of Olio Diavolo.