Posted by Olivia on Wednesday, May 18th, 2011
Sometimes it’s all about the finishing touches. A drizzle of peppery extra-virgin olive oil over grilled frisee, or perhaps a drizzle of citrus olive oil over sherbet, or even a fruity olive oil over crusty bread. You get the picture. That’s why we wanted to make a drizzling sauce out of one of our fave balsamics, the scrumptious Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar. This balsamic is naturally bursting with berry flavors, depth, and ripe fruitiness, but we had an inkling we could make it into an ever sweeter sauce if we reduced it a bit.
We were right! We reduced the balsamic—that is, simmered it down in a saucepan until it thickened—and added a few simple ingredients to make it into a lavish drizzling sauce. We call it Berry-Versatile Strawberry Glaze. It’s wonderful over dishes both sweet and savory that could use a finishing drizzle of fruit sensation. Check out the serving suggestions below for ideas on how to use this wonderful glaze in your fave recipes.
· Drizzle over baked or room temperature Brie cheese. Serve with crackers.
· Drizzle over prosciutto-wrapped mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh fruit.
· Drizzle over roasted and grilled meats, especially pork, steak, and ribs.
· Whisk into your fave olive oil for a summer salad dressing.
· Pour over ice cream, pound cake, or fresh fruit for a light dessert.
· Drizzle over pecan-crusted tilapia, salmon, or catfish.
· Drizzle over roasted and grilled green veggies, such as asparagus, Brussels sprouts, and onions.