Posted by Olivia on Tuesday, August 9th, 2011
This Sunday, August 7th, kicked off the 12th annual National Farmers Market Week. To celebrate our local food providers and growers, markets around the country are organizing cooking demos, musical shows, special events, market sales, and more. There is no shortage of farmers markets in the state of California, as you know if you live here! To celebrate in our state, find your local farmers market here.
Did you know that we are proud vendors at over 19 farmers markets currently? True! Check out our list of participating markets here, and bookmark our Locations page for updates on where we are selling throughout the year.
Here are five great ways to celebrate National Farmers Market Week:
1) Buy one new food item at your local farmers market. Never bought local eggs or chicken from your farmers market? Try it out this week.
2) Visit a new vendor at your local farmers market. Always buy the same produce from the same vendors at the market? We all have our faves, it’s true. But this week, try out a new vendor or two to share the love!
3) Plan one farmers market-only meal for the week. Plan a dinner, lunch, or breakfast that uses only market-bought goods this week. If this one’s a challenge for you, it’ll feel even more rewarding to do it.
4) Bring someone to the farmers market. Know someone that’s never been to your local market? Bring that friend or family member this week and treat them to a trip full of free samples and snacks. If they happen to return on their own in the future, even better.
5) Try a food you’ve never had before. What’s a lime finger? Never had zucchini blossoms? How about bok choy? Find something you’ve never eaten before at the market, and bring it home to experiment.
However you celebrate National Farmers Market Week in your neighborhood, we hope you are blessed with abundant food and friends to share it with.