Tom Kha Gai
Posted by Olivia on Monday, September 27th, 2010
This classic Thai soup gets its lovely lime flavor from our Lime Olive Oil, Serve as the start to an Asian-inspried meal or add thin rice noodles to round it out as a main course.
Note: lemongrass stalks can be found at most Asian specialty grocery stores or farmers markets.
- 2 14-oz. cans chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 12” stalk lemongrass, cleaned and sliced thinly
- 1 2” piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 large white button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 14-oz. can regular coconut milk
- 1 skinny chile (jalapenos work), seeded and minced
- 2 boiled chicken breasts, shredded or 8 oz. tofu, cubed
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp Lime Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt to taste
- Heat the Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the lemongrass and garlic and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, and ginger and cook for 3-4 minutes until very fragrant.
- Add the stock plus 1 can of water and stir well. Allow to simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and salt to taste. Add the chicken/tofu and allow to cook for another 5 minutes.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with mint, cilantro and a drizzle of the Lime Olive Oil.
comments powered by