The Olive Press Citrus Cake
Posted by Olivia on Saturday, November 14th, 2009
- Grated zest and juice of one lemon
- Grated zest and juice of one orange
- ¾ cup The Olive Press Blood Orange (or The Olive Press Meyer Lemon) Olive Oil
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 1/2 cups semolina
- 1 cup ground almonds, tightly packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 1 teaspoon orange flower water
- 1/4 cup Cointreau or Grand Marnier
- One round springform cake pan, 9-inch diameter, lightly oiled and lined with parchment.
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Reserve a little of the grated lemon and orange zest and put the remainder in a bowl with the oil, sugar, salt, orange and lemon juice, and eggs. Beat together with a whisk until light and fluffy and doubled in volume.
- Sieve the semolina and baking powder into a second bowl and add the ground almonds. Fold the almond essence and orange flower water into the egg mixture. Pour all at once into the dry ingredients, fold together, but do not overmix. Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the reserved lemon and orange zest over the top.
- Bake near the top of the oven for 40-45 minutes or until pale gold at the edges and firm in the middle. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Drizzle the liqueur over the top. Push the cake out, still on the loose metal base, and let cool on a wire rack for another 10 minutes. Remove the base and paper. Serve in 8 to 12 wedges, warm or cooled. Do not refrigerate.