Picnic Bean Salad with Sweet Fig Balsamic
Posted by Olivia on Monday, May 2nd, 2011
We recently asked our Facebook fans what foods they’d like to see more of for their spring menus. One of our customers, Dakota Heinemeyer Martini, suggested lighter salad fare and something with her favorite olive oil, Ascolano.
We came up with this spring-fresh salad of balsamic and oil marinated beans and fresh garden herbs. Made with fruity Fig Balsamic Vinegar and our delicate, slightly sweet Ascolano Extra Virgin Olive Oil, it makes for one yummy vegetarian entrée! Serve it over mixed greens for a salad, or pack it up with your fave deli items for a perfect picnic.
Thanks for the idea, Dakota. We hope you like this recipe as much as we did!
- 1 cup dried mixed beans and lentils
- ¼ cup Fig Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Ascolano Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup fresh basil, cilantro, and/or parsley leaves
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat; add dried beans and reduce to a rolling simmer. Cook until softened, about 60 to 90 minutes, partially covered. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, honey, and lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper. Combine cooked beans and vinegar mixture in a medium bowl; toss well. Cover and chill 2 hours to overnight for flavors to combine. Add herbs and toss prior to serving.