Dazzling Summer Peach Pie
Posted by Olivia on Wednesday, July 27th, 2011
The magic of this quintessential summer pie isn’t the fresh, ripe peaches or the irresistible olive oil crust—though those don’t hurt. It’s the secret ingredient we’ve added to the peaches: a splash of our Peach Balsamic Vinegar.
Our Peach Balsamic Vinegar is round, smooth, and full of ripe peach flavor. Added to the traditional summer peach pie, it adds a “dazzling” quality that you have to taste to experience. Serve this pie warm with a few scoops of ice cream, and if you want it to be extra-special, try it with our very own Olive Oil Ice Cream.
- 1 (15-ounce) package pastry for 9-inch double crust pie; OR try our recipe for olive oil pie dough
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 cups sliced, peeled fresh peaches
- 3 tablespoons Peach Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup raw sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate with one of the two prepared pie doughs. Brush with a bit of egg.
- Toss peaches, balsamic, and lemon juice together in a large bowl. In a separate medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add flour mixture to peaches; toss gently to coat.
- Spread peach mixture evenly into pie plate; dot with butter. Cover with second pie crust; fold edges under. Cut a few small slits into top of crust. Alternatively, cut second pie crust into long, thin strips, and layer over pie in a lattice pattern. Brush top of pie with remaining egg.
- Place pie in oven. Bake 45 to 60 minutes, until a deep golden crust has formed and juices are thick and bubbling. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes, and serve warm or cold.