Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho
Posted by Olivia on Friday, September 2nd, 2011
Gazpacho is a truly seasonal summer dish—it requires fresh produce at its best to be any good. Any when it’s good, boy is it great. Ripe tomatoes, green herbs, and lots of spice make up a good gazpacho, and the one and only thing to finish it off? Extra-virgin olive oil! Olive oil not only marries the flavors of the vegetables in the chilled soup, it is also necessary for your body to be able to absorb the nutrients from the vegetables. Taste + nutrition. That’s olive oil!
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes, cored, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, chopped
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, seeded, minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Ascolano Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Puree all ingredients in a food processor until desired consistency is reached. Alternatively, finely chop and mix by hand in a large bowl. Drizzle with additional olive oil in serving bowls.