Lavender Strawberry Scones with Lemon Olive Oil
Posted by Olivia on Thursday, June 23rd, 2011
We love cooking “pretty” sometimes. This week, we experimented with a traditional scone recipe (which we adore anyways), and made it oh-so pretty and ready for summer entertaining. How is it different than your usual flaky, biscuit-y scone? It’s made with fresh strawberries (luscious!), infused with dried culinary lavender (aromatic!), and baked with our Gold Medal Limonato Olive Oil (lemon heaven!). Get ready for the divine smells as these finish up in the oven—and have a pot of herbal or iced tea ready to go with them.
These scones are made for princesses, no doubt. But by all means, serve them to your kids, your loved ones, and your friends—whether they are technically royalty or not.
- 1 cup bite-size chopped strawberries
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dried lavender
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup Limonato Olive Oil
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a large baking pan.
- Toss strawberries with 1 tablespoon sugar in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine flour, lavender, baking powder, salt, and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in a food processor. Pulse until well mixed. Add oil to mixture; pulse until well incorporated.
- With machine running, slowly add buttermilk to flour mixture; blend until dough just holds, about 5 seconds.
- Remove dough and transfer to bowl of strawberries. Using hands, gently knead dough, incorporating strawberries into the mix. If dough gets too sticky, add a bit of flour to the kneading process.
- Shape dough into a large circle about ¾-inch thick. Cut into 6 to 8 circles or cut into 6 to 8 wedges. Place on baking sheet and bake 15 to 18 minutes, until just golden on top. Cool 10 minutes and enjoy.
Notes: Makes 6 to 8 scones.
Print This Recipe