Mexican Pork Torta with Grapefruit Guacamole
Posted by Olivia on Thursday, February 24th, 2011
Can we just say: this sandwich rocks. Chile-marinated pork tenderloin, grapefruit guacamole, and fresh jicama and radishes? Amazing!
If you’re looking to spice things up in the deli department, this is one sandwich you’ve got to try. It’s modeled after the Mexican sandwich, called torta, and spiced with amazing flavors of cumin, chili, citrus, and more. And the guacamole gets a fantastic makeover with one simple substitution: grapefruit juice instead of the usual lime juice. It’s one small change that makes a huge difference in taste—against the smoky, spicy pork slices, the citrus flavors really pop. It’s unbelievable! If you’re a fan of sandwiches, Mexican cuisine, or just good food, this one’s for you.
- 1 pound boneless pork tenderloin
- ¼ cup Olio Diavolo
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 avocados, peeled, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice
- For serving:
- 4 sesame seeds rolls, halved, lightly toasted
- 1 cup sliced jicama, soaked in grapefruit juice
- 1 cup sliced radishes, soaked in grapefruit juice
- Slice pork into ½-inch rounds. Pound gently into ¼-inch thick slices. Place in a shallow dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Olio Diavolo, cumin, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and garlic; pour over pork to coat. Cover and refrigerate covered for 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Meanwhile, prepare the guacamole: Mash together avocados, cilantro, onion, and grapefruit juice in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pork: Heat a large skillet over medium. Shake off marinade from pork; place in skillet and cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from skillet; cut into smaller slices, if preferred.
- Assemble the sandwiches: For each sandwich, smear guacamole on top and bottom half of bun. Place pork on bottom half; top with jicama and radishes. Cover with bun top. Serve immediately.
Notes: Makes 4 sandwiches.
Print This Recipe